HOME ABOUT FOLLOW PUBLICATIONS LINKS DISCLAIMER Image Map

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Its Raining Men...

He could feel the cool breeze against face as it tickled his eye lashes and gently caressed his hair. He was lost in thought and it was a perfect moment for it, a moment unlike any other he had ever experienced. It was early in the morning and the city was still fast asleep. Only a handful of cars and people could be seen on the otherwise busy streets of downtown. He was about 30 and had been working away from his home country for sometime, but today was his big day. He took in the view and admired the empty streets as the gentle breeze gradually developed into an ever growing wind, relentlessly whipping against his face as it continued to pick up speed. Soon its force made it difficult to keep his eyes open and his clothing began flapping recklessly against its power. However, the power of the wind would soon be trumped by another force, gravity.

On this otherwise peaceful and quite morning, the silence was suddenly shattered as his body hit the hard pavement below. His journey came to end. He had jumped off the highrise building from about 80 meters above just seconds earlier. There was no surviving this fall, but I was called by the police to pronounce him dead moments later. I arrived to find the police combing the area and taping off the crime scene. I took a knee next to him and looked into his glossy eyes which were still wide open. I looked back at myself in the reflection of his eyes and couldn't help but wonder. Wonder what his last moments were like and if he had any regrets. Unfortunately, there was nothing I could do for him and I had to disregard my own thoughts and callously go through the motions of doing my job. After confirming his death for the police and printing a "flat line" ECG rhythm for my report, I left the ECG electrodes I had placed on his skin in place, and covered his body. Minutes later we were off to another emergency where we could be of better assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment